The small Mallorcan town of Andratx is located in the southwest of Mallorca. Nestled in the foothills of the Tramuntana Mountains, the tranquil town is one of the oldest on the island. Andratx was built in the 16th century about 4 km from the coast. This location was chosen not least to protect against constant pirate attacks, which also led to the construction of more than 10 watchtowers along the coast.
Real estate in Andratx: everything you need to know
Typical Mallorcan village life
If you want to take part in the relaxed life of a typical Mallorcan town on Mallorca, Andratx is the place to be. There are always some very interesting properties for sale here in excellent locations. In the narrow romantic streets of the town centre, tastefully renovated village houses or historic town palaces can be purchased - some with Mediterranean-style courtyards, colourfully planted gardens or roof terraces. Many of Andratx's properties even have roof terraces with sea or harbour views.
Real estate in Andratx: A varied offer
Those who prefer buying a flat or a penthouse to buying a village house will find a wide range of properties here. Attractive old flats, but also newly built flats, villas with pools and penthouses with harbour views, different living spaces and various features are for sale here. Terraced houses with spacious terraces are mostly located on the outskirts of the village and one or the other luxury villa is also available here. Fincas and estates with larger estates are located in the outskirts. More luxury villas are located in the neighbouring harbour town of Puerto de Andratx.
Real estate in Andratx most popular locations
- Andratx centre: Here you will find town palaces, village houses, villas, old flats, newly built flats and other properties for sale. The town's infrastructure, which is intact every year, offers all amenities within walking distance. The marina of Puerto de Andratx is only about 5 km from the centre.
- Sa Coma Freda: Buying a finca or a house in Sa Coma Freda is something very special. Sa Coma Freda belongs to the municipality of Andratx and is only a few minutes' drive from the town of Andratx itself and the harbour town of Puerto de Andratx. Tranquillity and rural idyll, views of the Tramuntana mountains and views of the sea as well as the port of Port de Andratx are just some of the features of the properties in this beautiful valley.
- Sa Coma Caliente: This district of Andratx is located in a small but picturesque valley of 'Coma Calenta'. The way there starts at the Castel de Son Mas (today town hall) and follows the road to Es Capdella. Here there are mostly fincas, village houses, flats, manor houses, plots and other properties for sale.
- Cami de Morella: Only a few minutes from the town of Andratx and within walking distance of the Puerto de Andratx, this district is characterised by sheep pastures and almond trees. The properties for sale are mainly fincas, often with large plots, some with sea views.
- Cami des Prat: Similar to the previously mentioned district of Cami de Morella, this area also offers pure nature. Here, there are often fincas and country houses, but also other properties for sale. The port of Puerto de Andratx is also only a stone's throw away from here.
- Coll d`en Baix: This place captivates with its rural area. Nevertheless, the centre of Andratx is within walking distance. If you want to buy a rustic villa, finca or Mediterranean-style house with sea views, the best place to find your dream property is here.
Andratx - A place with history
Andratx was founded before the Roman invasion in the 2nd century BC. The Romans called it Andrachium. Coins, pottery and other artefacts from this period have been found here. The whole region is also known for growing local products such as oranges, almonds, olives and grapes.
Andratx is also the administrative centre of the municipality of the same name, located in the southwest of Mallorca. The palace of Son Mas towers over the town of Andratx. The terrace of the palace dates back to the Arabic period on the Balearic Islands and offers an incomparable view of the town as well as the surrounding gardens, almond and olive trees. After standing empty for a long time, the town council has now renovated the beautiful building and uses it as both a town hall and a cultural centre.
One of the most important meeting places in the village is the "Plaza". Life pulsates on the generously designed village square. Restaurants, bars, bakeries, a supermarket and a pharmacy mingle among the village houses around the square. An adjacent pedestrian zone with numerous shops, banks and hairdressers offers everything your heart desires.
Places in the municipality of Andratx
The municipality of Andratx in Mallorca includes the following towns:
What are the advantages of buying a property in Andratx?
- 25 minutes by car to Mallorca airport
- Golf Camp de Mar & Golf Santa Ponsa are nearby
- Good shopping facilities
- Stable infrastructure
- 5 minutes drive from the Club de Vela marina
- Cafés, bars, bakeries
- Numerous restaurants
- Various schools, both national and international, are within easy reach
- The island capital Palma de Mallorca is only approx. 20 minutes away by car
Activities in Andratx
Andratx has its very own charm. Around the town are eight peaks of the 395-metre-high Tramuntana Mountains. The Serra de Tramuntana de Mallorca was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2013.
The charming Mediterranean landscape around the town of Andratx invites visitors to explore it by hiking or cycling. The region is home to many large and small hiking trails high above the Tramuntana mountains and along the coast. The route from Port d'Andratx via Sant Elm to La Trapa is the first stage of the GR 221 long-distance hiking trail, also known in Spanish as the Ruta de Piedra en Seco, which translates as Dry Stone Route.
History buffs can visit the nearby church of Santa Maria de Andratx, the church in S'Arraco, the castle of Son Mas (now the town hall) and the ruins of the former Trappist monastery of La Trappa.
Sa Societat, a bar/restaurant in the middle of the village, offers authentic Mallorcan cuisine. The chefs are constantly coming up with new dishes for guests to enjoy on the restaurant's beautiful patio. The Bar Cubano is also very popular with locals and tourists and serves delicious tapas.
A little further to the southwest is the famous port of Puerto Andratx with its marina "Club de Vera" and restaurants, cafés and boutiques open all year round.
In addition, the popular golf course Golf de Andratx, located close to the sea, is only a few minutes away by car.
Festivals in Andratx
Andratx is also famous for its local fiestas, attracting visitors from all over the island. The fiestas extend throughout the summer.
- Sant Cristofol in the first week of July
- Verge del carme (Port d'Andratx) on 15 and 16 July
- Sant Agusti (S'Arraco) on 28 August
- Nuestra Señora de la Trapa on 8 September in S'Arraco.
Places of interest in Andratx
- The 13th century parish church, whose tower was converted into a fortress during pirate attacks.
- The Son Mas Palace is a relic from the Arab era. Long disused, it now houses the municipality's town hall.
- The weekly market is always held on Wednesdays. The streets are full of stalls selling fresh cheese, fruit and vegetables, bags, clothes and more.
- The CCA Andratx Cultural Centre, where contemporary art is exhibited.
- The port of Andratx with the Liedke Museum and the Studio Weil Art Museum.
Alternative places of residence
If you can't find the right property in Andratx, take the time to look for alternative properties in the neighbouring towns in the southwest of the island:
Your real estate agent for luxury properties
DAHLER Mallorca supports you in your search for your dream property. As a specialised real estate agent in the southwest of the island, we have a wide-ranging portfolio of luxury properties.
Our portfolio includes, among others: